Reign of the Undead - Revolution
Bug (sort of) with mod on Mac OS X - Printable Version

+- Reign of the Undead - Revolution (https://modszombies.com)
+-- Forum: Reign of the Undead (https://modszombies.com/forum-Reign-of-the-Undead)
+--- Forum: Bugs (https://modszombies.com/forum-Bugs--23)
+--- Thread: Bug (sort of) with mod on Mac OS X (/thread-Bug-sort-of-with-mod-on-Mac-OS-X)

Bug (sort of) with mod on Mac OS X - NSGod - 01-10-2018

Hey, this issue has taken me a while to track down and finally figure out what's going on.

While most of you are likely on Windows, I've been playing this game fine on my Mac in OS X for years. The following image shows my problem. Note that this image was taken a few days ago, not a few years ago (before the z_rotu_client_update_z999999 update in which you added Spent Energy) . In the image you can see that I don't have the 7th option for Energy in the Quick Menu.

[Image: ea2138454.jpeg]

After some detective work, I figured out what's going on. I loaded the game in a Windows virtual machine (not practical for gaming) and here is an excerpt from the console_mp.log:

Windows:

Code:
Current search path:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Call of Duty\modsrotuv1\z_rotu_client_zupdate_8.pk3 (119 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Call of Duty\modsrotuv1\z_rotu_client_zupdate_7.pk3 (337 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Call of Duty\modsrotuv1\z_rotu_client_zupdate_6.pk3 (114 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Call of Duty\modsrotuv1\z_rotu_client_zupdate_5.pk3 (390 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Call of Duty\modsrotuv1\z_rotu_client_zupdate_3.pk3 (166 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Call of Duty\modsrotuv1\z_rotu_client_update_z9999999.pk3 (30 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Call of Duty\modsrotuv1\z_rotu_client_update_z999999.pk3 (149 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Call of Duty\modsrotuv1\z_rotu_client_update_z99999.pk3 (551 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Call of Duty\modsrotuv1\z_rotu_client_update_z9999.pk3 (44 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Call of Duty\modsrotuv1\z_rotu_client_update_z999.pk3 (40 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Call of Duty\modsrotuv1\z_rotu_client_update_z99.pk3 (113 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Call of Duty\modsrotuv1\z_rotu_client_update_8.pk3 (44 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Call of Duty\modsrotuv1\z_rotu_client_update_7.pk3 (1044 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Call of Duty\modsrotuv1\z_rotu_client_update_6.pk3 (184 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Call of Duty\modsrotuv1\z_rotu_client_update_5.pk3 (100 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Call of Duty\modsrotuv1\z_rotu_client_update_3.pk3 (158 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Call of Duty\modsrotuv1\z_rotu_client_update_2.pk3 (26 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Call of Duty\modsrotuv1\z_rotu_client_update_1.pk3 (124 files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Call of Duty\modsrotuv1\z_rotu_client.pk3 (1643 files)

Everything above looks fine with a proper sort order, where files inside the .pk3s that are higher in the sort order override those that are lower (older) down.

Mac OS X:

Code:
Current search path:
/Users/user/Library/Application Support/CoD United Offensive/modsrotuv1/z_rotu_client_zupdate_8.pk3 (119 files)
/Users/user/Library/Application Support/CoD United Offensive/modsrotuv1/z_rotu_client_zupdate_7.pk3 (337 files)
/Users/user/Library/Application Support/CoD United Offensive/modsrotuv1/z_rotu_client_zupdate_6.pk3 (114 files)
/Users/user/Library/Application Support/CoD United Offensive/modsrotuv1/z_rotu_client_zupdate_5.pk3 (390 files)
/Users/user/Library/Application Support/CoD United Offensive/modsrotuv1/z_rotu_client_zupdate_3.pk3 (166 files)
/Users/user/Library/Application Support/CoD United Offensive/modsrotuv1/z_rotu_client_update_z99999.pk3 (551 files)
/Users/user/Library/Application Support/CoD United Offensive/modsrotuv1/z_rotu_client_update_z9999.pk3 (44 files)
/Users/user/Library/Application Support/CoD United Offensive/modsrotuv1/z_rotu_client_update_z999.pk3 (40 files)
/Users/user/Library/Application Support/CoD United Offensive/modsrotuv1/z_rotu_client_update_z99.pk3 (113 files)
/Users/user/Library/Application Support/CoD United Offensive/modsrotuv1/z_rotu_client_update_z9#577.pk3 (149 files)
/Users/user/Library/Application Support/CoD United Offensive/modsrotuv1/z_rotu_client_update_z9#576.pk3 (30 files)
/Users/user/Library/Application Support/CoD United Offensive/modsrotuv1/z_rotu_client_update_8.pk3 (44 files)
/Users/user/Library/Application Support/CoD United Offensive/modsrotuv1/z_rotu_client_update_7.pk3 (1044 files)
/Users/user/Library/Application Support/CoD United Offensive/modsrotuv1/z_rotu_client_update_6.pk3 (184 files)
/Users/user/Library/Application Support/CoD United Offensive/modsrotuv1/z_rotu_client_update_5.pk3 (100 files)
/Users/user/Library/Application Support/CoD United Offensive/modsrotuv1/z_rotu_client_update_3.pk3 (158 files)
/Users/user/Library/Application Support/CoD United Offensive/modsrotuv1/z_rotu_client_update_2.pk3 (26 files)
/Users/user/Library/Application Support/CoD United Offensive/modsrotuv1/z_rotu_client_update_1.pk3 (124 files)
/Users/user/Library/Application Support/CoD United Offensive/modsrotuv1/z_rotu_client.pk3 (1643 files)

Notice that the order is switched around in the "z9999999s":

z_rotu_client_update_z99999.pk3
z_rotu_client_update_z9999.pk3
z_rotu_client_update_z999.pk3
z_rotu_client_update_z99.pk3
z_rotu_client_update_z9#577.pk3
z_rotu_client_update_z9#576.pk3

Basically, the old APIs that COD uses had trouble with filenames that have more than 31 characters, so "z_rotu_client_update_z9#577.pk3" is kind of like the DOS shortname of "z_rotu_client_update_z9999999.pk3". Anyway, the result is a different sort order, and my client ends up using the wrong "ui_mp/wm_quickmessage.menu" file: an older one that doesn't have the Spend Energy option. (It uses the one from the "z_rotu_client_update_z99999.pk3" update).

While I realize this isn't a bug on your end, it'd be kind of nice to use the Spend Energy option.

As far as I can tell, it's only the "ui_mp/wm_quickmessage.menu" file that is affected, since you've updated most other files in later updates. I'm proposing a fix which I believe would work for me, though I don't know if you want to use it:

z_rotu_client_zz_mac_fix.pk3

Basically it's just the ui_mp/wm_quickmessage.menu file in a pk3. Named like that, it should sort above the others so it would work for me.

If you don't want to use it (since it would require everyone to download that, which I could understand), if you create any new updates, just include that newer file in that update .pk3 even if it hasn't changed.

Anyway, thanks in advance...

NSGod

RE: Bug (sort of) with mod on Mac OS X - fabio - 01-10-2018

Hey,

thanks for this awesome report. Very interesting.. But I guess you are the only MAC user lol... Well, for now you can use "vsay" to use the energy.

\vsay NUMBER LETTER

NUMBER and LETTER is explaining itself I guess. NUMBER is always 7 for 7th option (Spent Energy). For example, Bubble: \vsay 7 a

Here are all options, so you can create binds as a temporary solution:

[Image: 4a8ddc3a.png]