Reign of the Undead - Revolution

Full Version: Next step?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Yo, after last update (I'm talking about no cd-key checking) there is a lot more players on RotU and probably a lot of us love that, but I think that's not all, what should be changed in future days.

Maps are schematic, so it's easy to learn them and find a "hot spot". It's sometimes a lil bit boring, but I have a cool idea how to "refresh" a lil bit RotU.

Nope, this time I'll not give a whole new gamemode idea, but some good changes that will make this game "fresh".

First of all NERF THE GAME.
What I'm talking about? It's simply, nerf accuracy of all guns (I think it's finally time to use Aim Down Sight to survive and makes this game more interesting - also great way to use more guns), nerf range of all special/secondary abilities of zombies (like toxic, froze, explode, etc. - this will allow to move around on the map for all players, so no need to sit down in one corner to survive and this will give us more "hot spots"). Also it would be good to delete few effects like smoke from toxic - this makes a lot of lags on this engine (no matters how good your PC is).

Next thing is BOOST THE GAME.
Sounds weird? Not with this idea. There is a lot of great maps, but zombies just spawn everywhere. Basically when we're talking about survival we must expect zombies pretty everywhere, but it's quite weird, when they spawn in the middle of the map. Why not change that? Let's make them spawn around the map, so they must come to get us (or make a no-spawn area near players, but that may be very glitchy). More reality and more fun (of course waves like Chaos Zombies may still spawn everywhere - this will make those waves more unique). Next thing of course are new guns (without unreal accuracy) - probably a few guns from old Zombie Mode may be good to use.

I know that this will take a time, but no pressure Fabio. Tongue

Also additional idea:
New Final Wave:
Random Zombies (without boss abilities like in Mixed Wave) + Master (Helga) + 2 Hitlers - objective will be kill Helga and Hitlers (no need to nade them, but still be hard to kill), then all Zombies (they will spawn 'till Helga is dead). Easy? Smile

Oh, I forgot - I'm thinking about secondary weapons. Idea is good, but it's very expensive to upgrade them and basically have no results (only damage a lil bit higher). Maybe each upgrade may unlock Deagle with faster reload? (for ex.: STOCK: 100% reload time, 1ST UP: 80% reload time, 2ND UP: 60% reload time, GOLD: 50% reload time + more ammo + more clip size). For me this would be a great point of upgrading pistols. 1

Let me know what do you think about that! Smile
The only problem I see is that nerfing will rule me and guys that spray and pray like me out. It's fine if your used to rifles but I've never been good at them. Leave the spraying part alone. Even sprayers want to play.
@Dr.Lonewolf{FMJ}

To be honest - it's the most boring part of this mod actually - just no scope/ADS run (or sit) and gun ('Merica!' :V) like a Rambo. This only may be hard for new players to RotU, but most of the old players are just bored doing same thing over and over again - game without a bigger challenge. This nerf is a good point to make more realistic and more intense game than it's now. Even I'll say more, game wants us to stay in ONE CORNER ("Hot Spot"), which is very boring for a long time.

Basically nerf in my idea looks like this: make it harder and easier at the same time (ex.: need ADS, but be able to move around the map).
While boost in my idea looks like this: make it easier and harder at the same time (ex.: zombies don't spawn close and everywhere, but have new guns that need ADS).
IMO

Making these type of changes will discourage new players to play and the game will die. Eventhough I mostly use a pistol, there are nights when I need to switch to spray and pray mode because of lag/ping/amount of players, since I'm halfway around the world.
@Evil_EdwardO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHC1230OpOg
(Sorry m8, I have to xD)

Now you have a point, but... Ehh, I don't know... Now a lot of new players don't know what's going on too much. Basically they know "who's bad", but no idea "how to". Easy to see at more hard waves like Hitlers (they don't nade them, just shot). Even I don't want to notice their "tactics" for most game or teamwork.

It's just my opinion, but those changes may change a lot in a good direction. Aim Down Sight will be a small problem (this for sure will make this game more hard but also more fun and more realistic), but also Zombies will be less good - now on small maps toxic or froze may completly block all the escape ways (my quote: "game wants us to stay in ONE CORNER"), so game is less dynamic right now. I don't think that ADS will be that much a problem, 'cause let's be honest - it's Call of Duty, not a Counter Strike. ADS is in this game since begin, it's nothing new. Even more, a few guns on RotU still needs ADS to be useful, like sniper rifles or Merrsson. Just need to quick scope/aim and know your surroundings. :V

Now about ping/lags - good connection is one thing, but still not a big problem to learn and know "how to be good". You can still "spray and pray", but even with 1 Ping (on your site) Bots will have lags - more scripts makes more lags. One good tip: aim foward, not direct on the target. Another thing is that game engine (id Tech 3) is very limited and weak. Just one smoke can make a lot of lags even on be(a)st PC setup. This is one of the things that I've notice on this thread. Ammount of players may create some lags, but did you even noticed how many players is on RotU? Over 30. Bots also are like a players, so a few more or less players will not make your internet connection that much worse mate. We are all connecting to the Host-Server ("Mother Server") to play on RotU, so mainly location of Host-Server for you may be a problem.
Now if you get this all together you'll know why you may have problems to kill zombies. For me it's nothing new, typpical "old game multiplayer" without any "anti-lag support".

I think that we just need to check this by ourselves how this change will be good or bad. :V
I also think that most players simply have become accustomed to such a game on RotU.
(10-25-2016, 08:42 AM)West Wrote: [ -> ]@Evil_EdwardO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHC1230OpOg
(Sorry m8, I have to xD)

Now you have a point, but... Ehh, I don't know... Now a lot of new players don't know what's going on too much. Basically they know "who's bad", but no idea "how to". Easy to see at more hard waves like Hitlers (they don't nade them, just shot). Even I don't want to notice their "tactics" for most game or teamwork.

It's just my opinion, but those changes may change a lot in a good direction. Aim Down Sight will be a small problem (this for sure will make this game more hard but also more fun and more realistic), but also Zombies will be less good - now on small maps toxic or froze may completly block all the escape ways (my quote: "game wants us to stay in ONE CORNER"), so game is less dynamic right now. I don't think that ADS will be that much a problem, 'cause let's be honest - it's Call of Duty, not a Counter Strike. ADS is in this game since begin, it's nothing new. Even more, a few guns on RotU still needs ADS to be useful, like sniper rifles or Merrsson. Just need to quick scope/aim and know your surroundings. :V

I'm all for more challenging, don't get me wrong. I've seen another game where they made it "more realistic" and that game died out pretty quick because new players quit playing because it was too hard.

Majority of people don't want more realistic (I'm not one of them). They play these games to escape reality. If the players on this site didn't want to sit in a corner, they would play other maps besides Tunnel and Store.

Now about ping/lags - good connection is one thing, but still not a big problem to learn and know "how to be good". You can still "spray and pray", but even with 1 Ping (on your site) Bots will have lags - more scripts makes more lags. One good tip: aim foward, not direct on the target. Another thing is that game engine (id Tech 3) is very limited and weak. Just one smoke can make a lot of lags even on be(a)st PC setup. This is one of the things that I've notice on this thread. Ammount of players may create some lags, but did you even noticed how many players is on RotU? Over 30. Bots also are like a players, so a few more or less players will not make your internet connection that much worse mate. We are all connecting to the Host-Server ("Mother Server") to play on RotU, so mainly location of Host-Server for you may be a problem.
Now if you get this all together you'll know why you may have problems to kill zombies. For me it's nothing new, typpical "old game multiplayer" without any "anti-lag support".

If this was true, then why don't I have the same problems with servers in the USA. I also use plenty of smoke grenades on the other COD servers and not a problem.

Also, I think I know how to lead a target since I hunt and shoot pistol competitively. Got this guy running at 200 yards in 20 mile per hour winds:

[Image: 2058d13.jpeg]

I think that we just need to check this by ourselves how this change will be good or bad. :V
I also think that most players simply have become accustomed to such a game on RotU.

This is true, but like I said most people aren't interested in a simulator type game. I think they treat this game like a "slot machine". Push the fire button and get points. They have been a few ADS type games in COD and if you notice they don't get a lot of players versus a server like VIP where it can be spray and pray and they get a ton of players.

Keep coming up with ideas though (I don't have any of my own at the moment), would like to see this server last a few more years since I do enjoy playing with most of you!
@Evil_EdwardO

"If this was true, then why don't I have the same problems with servers in the USA."
It's simple, Host-Server is located in Europe, probably in Germany (correct me if I'm wrong). Like you said it's opposite site of the globe.

"I also use plenty of smoke grenades on the other COD servers and not a problem."
Yep, a few smokes doesn't make that much lags, but on RotU almost every single toxic zombie is creating a smoke, so basically it much more than a few of it. Another thing is that RotU has a lot of stuff to display for us - players. Did you ever saw that yellow text about reaching limit of objects (1021 - not sure now) on RotU and when it shows up? From my experience - more objects means more scripts, which means more lags.

"Also, I think I know how to lead a target since I hunt and shoot pistol competitively. Got this guy running at 200 yards in 20 mile per hour winds:"
Nice one, but Real ballistic vs Game ballistic? Like I said, id Tech 3 engine (also known as Quake III engine) isn't powerful and has a lot of limits. One of those limits is a simple ballistics - bullets go straight and weather conditions do not affect the flight path of the projectile - only lags may do that. It's quite different - also, 'cause (again like I said) Bots are laggy as hell (mainly 'cause of scripts, which makes most of lags - they need a time to think, to move, to react, to think again) and the game doesn't have any "anti-lag" or "hit-target assistance". Basically you can hit Bots only when they are on the move. Trust me, but I have also sometimes problems to hit them, but I know the reason (lagged bots/laggy multiplayer).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id_Tech
You should check this for some info - just check the date and "what's new?". Tongue

In such old games everything was new, fresh and not everything works fine. Sometimes some weird things can happen and it may be impossible to explain it. Well, "it's only a thing - it can broke".

I'm quite close to this thread - basically a few years I've been helping in creating and fixing some Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Multiplayer (SA-MP) servers with over 10-50k lines of codes, based on RenderWare engine, which as multiplayer this game engine works much more weird than id Tech 3.

"This is true, but like I said most people aren't interested in a simulator type game."
You're pretty wrong mate. A lot of people like to play some kind of simulators - games like H1Z1, Minecraft, SA-MP (Role Play/Real Life servers, which are only alive there), Battlefield, Farm Simulators or few racing games are good examples. It's like a music - some people like to listen Electro, some like to listen Rock or Metal. We all like different things and stuffs in life and most of game producers know that and don't give a damn at the same time. Did you ever saw how many simulators has been ever created? Basic point of my idea is to make this game more dynamic and intense. Of course not everyone may like those changes, but I'm a type of guy, who wants a direct and good reasons "why I'm yes/no for that". Also remember that we're talking about a half-dead game, there isn't many players left here and I know that every change can make it worse, but also no progress is another nail in the coffin - and that's what most game producers/developers and server owners don't see. Again I'll talk about SA-MP - no progress with this multiplayers almost killed this game, only fans and people, who doesn't want to lose their progress in-game are still playing it.

"would like to see this server last a few more years since I do enjoy playing with most of you!"
I know your point and I agree - that's why people needs to start talking and be active here on forum. 1

No comments = no opinions = no ideas = no progress = another nail in the coffin
Hey,

wow this was sooo much to read lol.. made me think a lot.
And additionally I'm not at home this week, that's why I didn't answer yet, yeah sorry for the late answer.

I will just write some lines to your post...

(10-23-2016, 05:36 PM)West Wrote: [ -> ]Yo, after last update (I'm talking about no cd-key checking) there is a lot more players on RotU and probably a lot of us love that, but I think that's not all, what should be changed in future days.
Really? That's awesome! I didn't really notice.. But great 1

(10-23-2016, 05:36 PM)West Wrote: [ -> ]Maps are schematic, so it's easy to learn them and find a "hot spot". It's sometimes a lil bit boring, but I have a cool idea how to "refresh" a lil bit RotU.

Nope, this time I'll not give a whole new gamemode idea, but some good changes that will make this game "fresh".
New maps are coming, this brings (at least temporary) a new challenge to explore the maps.

(10-23-2016, 05:36 PM)West Wrote: [ -> ]First of all NERF THE GAME.
What I'm talking about? It's simply, nerf accuracy of all guns (I think it's finally time to use Aim Down Sight to survive and makes this game more interesting - also great way to use more guns), nerf range of all special/secondary abilities of zombies (like toxic, froze, explode, etc. - this will allow to move around on the map for all players, so no need to sit down in one corner to survive and this will give us more "hot spots"). Also it would be good to delete few effects like smoke from toxic - this makes a lot of lags on this engine (no matters how good your PC is).
I never had lags in the fog... Well, I don't really wanna remove it, because I like it..
Aaaand abotu the camping thing I thought about a slender zombies or something like that..
He's present in every wave, but can only locate players if they don't move. He's strong and walks around on the map, but yeah, only attacks not moving players.
What do you think? This would be pretty challenging I think. Maybe we can add a level limitation, so slender zombie only attacks players above level 20, for example.

(10-23-2016, 05:36 PM)West Wrote: [ -> ]Next thing is BOOST THE GAME.
Sounds weird? Not with this idea. There is a lot of great maps, but zombies just spawn everywhere. Basically when we're talking about survival we must expect zombies pretty everywhere, but it's quite weird, when they spawn in the middle of the map. Why not change that? Let's make them spawn around the map, so they must come to get us (or make a no-spawn area near players, but that may be very glitchy). More reality and more fun (of course waves like Chaos Zombies may still spawn everywhere - this will make those waves more unique). Next thing of course are new guns (without unreal accuracy) - probably a few guns from old Zombie Mode may be good to use.
I actually added a few random spawns because the game was too easy.. Well, I guess it's not in all waves that the zombies spawn randomly. But it's still easy to remove.. The problem I see, is that the game wil be easier again. Players only block the spawns and that's it. No zombies from the back that could kill you, they just come from 1 way.
Guns are always shit.. they are sooo bugged in the engine. I'm lucky that this few guns still work.. Looks like the bigger the mod, the buggier the guns lol...
Will see what I can do and how it works..

(10-23-2016, 05:36 PM)West Wrote: [ -> ]I know that this will take a time, but no pressure Fabio. Tongue
Uhm yes, new Maps -> reallllyyyyyy loooong
new Guns -> Loooooong too
Slender Zombie, would be ok haha

(10-23-2016, 05:36 PM)West Wrote: [ -> ]Also additional idea:
New Final Wave:
Random Zombies (without boss abilities like in Mixed Wave) + Master (Helga) + 2 Hitlers - objective will be kill Helga and Hitlers (no need to nade them, but still be hard to kill), then all Zombies (they will spawn 'till Helga is dead). Easy? Smile
Yea this wave sounds cool 1 I will probably add it hehe

(10-23-2016, 05:36 PM)West Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, I forgot - I'm thinking about secondary weapons. Idea is good, but it's very expensive to upgrade them and basically have no results (only damage a lil bit higher). Maybe each upgrade may unlock Deagle with faster reload? (for ex.: STOCK: 100% reload time, 1ST UP: 80% reload time, 2ND UP: 60% reload time, GOLD: 50% reload time + more ammo + more clip size). For me this would be a great point of upgrading pistols. 1
Not possible.. reload time is same for every weapon, so i have to create different weapons files and that's the problem. Weapon files are limited.. and we reached the limit...
Well, I really have to unbug the other weapons somehow.. maybe I can do that with the old weapons from Zombie Mod.. let's see

(10-23-2016, 05:36 PM)West Wrote: [ -> ]Let me know what do you think about that! Smile
Uh, yes I did 1
I like the Slender zombie idea and the new final wave idea. I always thought it was weird that the final wave is usually easier than the mix round in level 19 or the Helga wave.
@Fabio

Fog, smoke and shadows may lag players. especially last two. Shadows and smokes use a lot of resources from GPU (mainly) and CPU. Not enough powerful GPU will have some problems to handle it. For ex. I have GeForce GT610 2Gb (and I know that it's not a good gaming GPU), which isn't powerful. In games like GTA IV, Battlefield 4 or CoD: Ghosts I have some lags or lower FPS, 'cause of shadows, smoke or too much details. In games with good optimization like GTA V (yep, it runs on lowest pretty good) I don't have problems with FPS too much, but game reaction may lag (for ex. burn wheels for a while and stop it - no FPS drops, everything is smooth, but car is keep burning wheels for a while - just no control). Basically more effects means more use of GPU and CPU to create it (especially GPU). Non powerful GPU like mine may have some problems with more details or special effects, which of course means lags or drop FPS. :V On RotU I have some problems while using a scope. When I enter scope mode close and aim to smoked area I have a huge drop FPS. Basically higher zoom means less FPS for me. :V

Slender Zombie... Sounds weird, but it's a cool idea. Tongue Also cool and fun would be a Kamikaze Zombie, that will spawn, run and explode near camping player. xD
Uh wow, so we got some new wave ideas here..

- Kamikazie (or Suicide) zombies
- the new final wave

and every wave has the slender zombie..
Maybe the slender zombie stuns camping players for a few seconds and gives them damage until they move. if they move enough the slender zombie will disappear. What do you think?
And maybe only the camping player can see the slender zombie. It's like a big zombie all over your screen that damages and stuns you until you move..
Maybe we just need Evil Otto from Bezerk 10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcMmJlTfGFc

Okay, showing my age now... 32
Multiple green fogs of the toxic zombies behind each other gives huge FPS drops. (have sometimes between 15 and 20 fps)
Especially when you zoom in with a scoped rifle (think the zoom and the drawing distance really take down your FPS here).

Think this is more a limitation of the game engine.
Do notice that the game engine is designed in a era where PC's only had one core.
So the engine can't use more then one core of your multi core CPU these days.
Just watch in your taskmanager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc), you see that CoD UO only use about:

dual core: 50%
quad core: 25%
octa core: 12.5%

With the GPU i see a max use of 50% and a average of 15% to 20% (AMD 7970).
Where the GPU drivers overrule the game settings and push them to the max.

I even can run a program next to the game that can use all the parallel calculation power of the GPU without any noticeable performance drop.
So there is even a chance that the game doesn't even take all advantage of the new modern cores of the GPU.

And adding more stuff to the game always in proves it.
At the moment I rather play a standard game mode or mod that doesn't have changed a lot, then all the heavily modded gametypes.
Pure because of the simplicity and you can just start and stop when ever you want.